View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Couple of things. First, our intake processes are often too superficial to really prevent us from recruiting a dumbass 19 year old who happens to be a racist and we don't often find out about that until that individual is a full fledged member. And then, once the behavior is known, with regard to the leaders of the organization between 20-22 years old, let's be honest, not a lot of them are going to want to take days out of their week utilizing standards to properly adjudicate unacceptable viewpoints.

And we recruit a fresh batch of 18-19 year old kids every single year and every single year, we open ourselves up to the same behavior, and every single year that behavior continues to happen. Why are we tired or surprised? Our organizations don't have much capacity to learn unless they are properly advised by adult volunteers, but the advice we give very often falls on deaf ears.

It's a problem with no real solution that I can think of.
Yes, I agree Kevin, there is no real solution to completely end it... that's what I was telling someone else above, I wish there was a way to end it altogether, but at the same time, this is a trait that is learned, and like you mentioned, doesn't often come out through the common conversation during recruitment. It's just frustrating the entire organization has to suffer by the comments of a member who, let's be honest, whether they are 18 or not, should truly know better by this point. Even if it was meant to be a joke, it was done completely in poor taste.

Last edited by anongreek; 10-09-2019 at 06:20 PM.