View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Since there was talk about weighted vs non-weighted GPAs - here is how Oklahoma State University addresses the issue of high school grades. I know there are other schools that do something similar.

The Panhellenic Council does not set specific academic conditions for you to participate in recruitment. However, it is important to understand each chapter has grade point average requirements set by its inter/national organization and the local members. It is possible, but extremely rare, for exceptions to be made to these guidelines. These individual requirements are listed in the 2017 Recruitment Booklet on the chapter profile pages.

Please note that you are not asked to provide your own academic information on your application because your academic record will be verified using the Student Information System (SIS). The high school GPA that the Panhellenic Council accepts is the Core GPA provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, which is also used for admittance into Oklahoma State University. Core GPA is defined below.

15-Unit Core Curricular Requirements:

4 units of English (grammar, composition and literature);
3 units of mathematics (algebra I, geometry, algebra II and above);
3 units of history and citizenship skills (Must include 1 unit of American history and 2 units from the subjects of history, economics, geography, government, civics and/or non-western culture);
3 units lab science (biology, chemistry, physical sciences, physics or any lab science certified by school district); and
2 units of other courses selected from any of the sections above or computer science or foreign language.
AP and higher-level IB courses are identified and weighted in the Core GPA (i.e. If a student makes a B in AP language composition, it is calculated as an A. An earned A grade is given an extra point when calculated.)
*While the State Regents strongly support the initiation of honors courses, honors weighting will not be used in the calculation of either high school (overall or core) GPA because there is no equitable mechanism to include the honors premium