View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Recs - Always ask EVERYONE!

So I just found out something last night that makes me wanna smack my sweet husband upside his head. My daughter and I talked for months leading up to recruitment about all of it. He saw me talking about recs and putting out a post on Facebook asking women if they or others they knew were in sororities to let me know if they would be willing to put in recs for my daughter.

What he neglected to tell me was that his mother had been in a sorority. He of course, had no clue which one, or that it might make a difference. (He never went Greek, so he is terribly clueless about it all.) She was only at her school for a year, but she initiated and still has both her paddle and her badge. (She's a Sigma Kappa.) She doesn't get on Facebook much and missed my post. It had never really come up when I talked to her over the years either. (Husband and I have only been married for 7 years. I love his parents dearly, but they live 7 hours away and I don't get to talk to them a whole lot.) I happened to be talking to her last night about doing some stitched letter shirts for daughter and I, since she has an embroidery machine. I brought up how stressful recruitment had been and she said, "Oh, I remember it well." Wait, what??? LOL

So.....I'm not sure of Sigma Kappa's legacy policy on step-granddaughters, but I'm thinking she would have been considered an indirect legacy at a minimum by them had we known.

Now it may not have changed a single thing during recruitment and daughter is over the moon for her sorority now. But Sigma Kappa was one of her favorites and she was cut from them after Round 1. We had one rec for them, but it was from someone who didn't know her well. I'm not even going to dwell on if it would have made a difference or not, but at least now we know for the two younger daughters when they get ready to go through recruitment in 4 years. (Wow, they will be legacies to 3 different groups now! How cool is that!)

Lesson learned - always ask EVERYONE. You apparently never know who was in a sorority.

Mom to a non greek son, an Alpha Xi Delta daughter and two more potential legacy daughters!