View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Honestly, I think the best thing a person like that can do is to not talk so much. Often, the awkward stuff shows itself when the person gets nervous and gets verbal diarrhea. Learning how to be silent (there IS and art to it) is underrated.
This! I wasn't always the most confident person and would often keep talking out of sheer insecurity. A male friend of mine told me something that I remember to this day. It was in the vein of "chill out" and "stop spazzing".

He told me to only say 50% of what you think you want to say.

It was probably the most helpful advice a friend has ever given to me. It's a great suggestion for a variety of reasons. First, basic math. If you only say half of what comes to mind, you have a 50% less chance of saying something stupid/awkward/weird. Second, it forces you to stop and think before you open your mouth. Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, it makes you listen to what is being said. Being a good listener is vital to just about any situation you can think of. It's not always easy, but once you get into the habit, you'll be more likely to make conversation that doesn't end with a lot of awkward glances.

I kind of wish I read the original post, because I'm not sure if this is what it was about. Well, that, and I'm just really curious.