View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

Bid Day was in the late afternoon, so a few of my roommates' moms came by to take us to brunch and celebrate with us. No one in my suite got a phone call that morning so we knew all 4 of us were going to receive a bid! I was still nervous and worried that I had made the correct choice, but I told myself that whatever sorority I would have on my bid card, would be a sorority who chose me. I've never been a religious person, but I just told myself that whatever happened would be fate, and I just needed to go with it.

Around 3 we started heading down to where we would receive bids. There was a good deal of panic in me, and I might have tried to cheat by holding the envelope up to the light and trying to see through it. No luck. I kind of put my finger in the fold of the envelope to pre-rip it. At the end of the countdown, I ripped open the envelope and discovered that I had been offered a bid to...

CLAFOUTIS

I immediately started screaming and ran in every which way trying to find my new sisters. Some of my new sisters were girls who I got to know really well chatting in line before parties, some of them I really admired, and I was so glad to find myself in their company. I found my roommates and we took a ton of pictures together (they received bids to Pot Pie, Green Juice, and Ramen) before running off to join the other NMs of my sorority. We were all put on a bus to sorority row and we were greeted by a screaming hoard of girls jumping out in front of the bus.

Now that it's been a little over a month since Bid Day, I am so happy with my choice. Everyone who took the time to talk to me and remember my name still remembers me and our conversations, from the President down to the girl who greeted me on my first day. And even more impressive than the actives who put together an amazing rush, are the rest of PC15. Every day it's been a joy studying with them, crafting with them, and just being our general silly selves. Being in a sorority family really does feel like you're safe and protected in a sea of madness.

I guess another bit of PSA I'll throw out there, is sorority life at A&M seems way more lax than that of others at other Texas schools, and probably more lax than even most SEC schools. "Rankings" are definitely in flux - there is not one sorority who is the infallible and untouchable queen bee over everyone else. I think there's the added benefit that sorority life as a whole at A&M is so new, so there's not a century of "tradition" pushing reputations on the current generation. Of the PNMs I talked to, several were legacies, but not a lot were chapter legacies, which can be a good thing because that allows them the freedom to choose the house that fits them the best. I also dislike stereotypes, but I think that there is definitely a house to be found for every girl. I guess you could say I'm kind of on the "quirky" side of things, but I definitely found my home, and I've met girls in classes and organizations who I didn't know were Greek at first.

And if anyone was wondering about numbers, 1,098 women accepted bids out of approximately 1,400 PNMs who registered (I can't quite remember the number off the top of my head), which I think is roughly the same number as last year.