View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

Listen to books? Gosh, I guess I am just old school, I read paper page books thank you very much!
Audiobooks are WONDERFUL when you're doing a long distance drive alone! Just be sure not to use something that is an uncomfortable genre for you while trying to concentrate on driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Yes, I read it...very interesting. The science and the impact on informed consent and human subjects research laws were fascinating to me.

I was disappointed with the movie adaptation. The movie totally focuses on Henrietta's daughter, played by Oprah Winfrey. Who is the producer.

It's like in Shakespeare in Love, when the usual leading man Ben Affleck character is told by Shakespeare that Mercutio (his role) is the star of the show, and he gradually figures out as each act/scene is written and rehearsed, that his role is definitely a supporting role.

It's like that. Except Oprah or the screenwriter never figured out that her role was a supporting role in the book, and not the primary focus or take-away from this true story. So, the whole thing feels like 1) an overacted Emmy pitch, and 2) not true to the book's message.

if you see it, I'd like to hear your opinion!
Is there a way to see an HBO movie when you don't get HBO? I really do want to see it. It's a darn shame that the very woman who changed the landscape of modern medicine doesn't get any glory - nor does her family reap any rewards!

Last edited by honeychile; 09-15-2017 at 01:27 PM.