View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi...been hanging around on these boards for a few months now. Not sure if I ever did the roll call or not. But, anyway, better late than never!!
1.) First Name: Tara
2.) Chapter - Theta Kappa, University of Virginia
3.) Alumnae
4.) Why you joined Alpha Gam? I was part of a local sorority. UVa's system is very different in that there is an Inter Sorority Council that governs things, not a Panhellenic Council. Local chapters must jump through a lot of hoops before the ISC approves them to affiliate with a National Organization. So, we took about a year and a half doing all of that and then invited Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Gamma Delta and Alpha Sigma Alpha to come to present to us. We had been leaning towards Gamma Phi Beta and even called our local group "Phi Beta" because we had a Gamma Phi transfer from UGa who was part of our group. But, their presentation didn't blow us away. It was obvious that they didn't really want to be there. I remember clearly Trisha Barber coming in from AGD and just completely blowing our socks off. We left that presentation all wanting to be Alpha Gams...and so we were installed in February of 1990. Needless to say, going from almost two years as a self-governing local sorority to having to learn all new rules and regs didn't sit well with some folks, so my favorite AGD memory is when International Grand President Laverne Taylor Flannagan came to Charlottesville and sat on the floor of our living room with us eating hot dogs and explaining why it was important that we learn to do things the AGD way. I only got to experience undergrad life as an initiated member for 1 semester before I graduated, but I've been very involved ever since with involvement in alumnae clubs and chapters from Washington DC to Hawaii to Reno, Nevada to Tampa. I'm a convention junkie and can't wait for Orlando next summer...which will be my 5th convention.