View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This rule is a Unanimous Agreement made between all NPC member sororities. That's much more potent than a "policy." Overturning that would presumably require a unanimous agreement on the part of all NPC sororities. The odds of that happening are slim to none, and slim just left town.

While you point out some unfortunate situations that can occur, there are also many reasons why this agreement exists.

A few thoughts that come into my mind right off the bat:

The new member period before initiation gives women a chance to separate from their organization before they are initiated. For lack of a better term, that's the "trial period," and once you've joined, that's it.

Related to that, once a woman has been initiated and learned the secret ritual of her organization, it's anathema to most members that she should be able to leave and jump ship to another organization. Even the agreement was overturned/changed, If I was a member of the potential "new" group, I wouldn't want to trust my ritual with a ship jumper.

Would she be limited to just 2 tries? What if a woman didn't like Sorority #2, either?

Then there would be the craziness of women quitting, joining, and how that process would even be organized...I don't think there's any interest in opening those floodgates.

I'm sure there were many deep discussions that went into this long-standing Unanimous Agreement.

The reality is that even if some fraternities allow a man to join their group after resigning from another fraternity, in "theory," the fraternity members on Greek Chat have repeatedly shared that this rarely happens in real life, and many fraternities will not extend a bid to someone who was once a member of another group.

Also, to be clear, I transferred schools and made arrangements to move directly into the chapter house, without having met any of my new sisters. I affiliated and I loved both my initiating sisters and my affiliate sisters, and I'm still in touch with many women from both chapters. I'm also a long-standing alumnae volunteer for my Sorority. I'm a big believer in creating the change you want to see, and making the most of your experience in the organization you joined...which is much more than a "social club."

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-26-2019 at 05:37 PM.