View Single Post
Old 10-08-2001, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for all sororities on all campuses, but just about everywhere I have seen and heard, legacies DO COUNT.

In Alpha Phi, a legacy is a prospective member whose grandmother, mother or sister was an Alpha Phi. Legacy stipulations differ for each sorority and fraternity.
The bond of having a family member in one's sorority is special and one that sororities want to encourage. However, it is not a guarantee that a woman will be chosen to be a member of her family member's sorority. She will be chosen based on her own merits. Likewise, a woman who is a legacy of any participating sorority is encouraged to look closely at that chapter. However, she should also look closely at the other chapters on campus to make sure the group she chooses the best house for her, not just her family member.

Alpha Phi has special procedures in place that pertain to legacies. I can't recall them off hand, but they are similar to those mentioned by OTW and CutiePie2000.

I am horrified that someone would say that "legacies don't count anymore"! How hideous (and wrong).

Jen

Last edited by TechAPhi; 10-08-2001 at 02:20 AM.