View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
In ancient times when I was an undergrad, the drinking age was 18. I don't seem to recall as many stomach pumping adventures and alcohol poisoning deaths as are presently reported. Freshmen could go to bars and drink, which took the importance off fraternity parties as the only way to drink. I think the laws should revert back to a drinking age of 18.
In olden days, back when 18 was the drinking age and before risk reduction rules, a fraternity would spend about $35 (plus deposit) and buy a keg of beer for informal parties -- that would pretty much be it as far as alcoholic beverages at informal events and mixers. Risk reduction policies do not allow this anymore.

I suspect that now it is cheaper and easier to just to have guests buy and bring their own hard liquor for informal gatherings disguised as non-fraternity events in a crude attempt to avoid IFC and university rules as well as liability.

It is extremely difficult to get alcohol poisoning by drinking beer alone. Not that difficult with hard liquor or 190 proof grain alcohol.

My point is that the increased alcohol poisonings can likely be tied to the increase in hard liquor use.