View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyGreek View Post
I felt a connection to my sorority when I pledged. While I wasn't best friends with all of my sisters (and downright despised one of them), I was close with many, many of them. These are women that I still see and consider my friends. My daughter doesn't see those same bonds of sisterhood among even the upperclassmen. One of the sisters told her she loves hanging out at the house because she's always meeting new sisters she hasn't met before, which she didn't think sounded like such a good thing. How can you consider it a sisterhood when you haven't even met everyone?!

Maybe the issue is mega chapters that are bigger than a lot of high school graduating classes. I found "my people" in my graduating class, but despite sharing a lot of common experiences, I feel absolutely no connection to all the other graduates of my high school the same year. It starts to feel like random groups of people put together.
I don't have any experience with being in a large SEC-type chapter. My entire chapter was the size of one pledge class there. Personally, I would not find the huge chapters to my liking at all, but that's because I like smaller and more manageable things. It's the same reason I would never attend a large church with multiple services or live in a big city. It feels incredibly impersonal to me. So in that sense, even though people will say you can find your people in a large sorority (and that is probably true enough), it doesn't mean that's the best fit for everyone.

Your daughter has to decide what's most important to her. If she likes her school and she wants to be Greek, then she needs to get on with it and make the most of the chapter she's in. If she wants a different Greek experience and she can find that at a different school with a smaller Greek system, then that's fine too. She can transfer and rush again next year.

I do disagree with the idea that a sorority is just a club. Clubs generally don't live together, etc. A positive sorority experience can make a big difference in a person's college experience. It did for me.

And I'll also say this. Those fees are ridiculous. I'm glad ours were reasonable or I would have missed out on sorority life.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.