View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
I am a sophomore participating in informal recruitment in need of advice!!

I previously participated in formal, but was cut from every house after the first round. I knew this was a possibility because of my GPA- 2.4, at the time- but I wanted to try anyway, I had fun and I thought all of my conversations went really well so it wasn’t a bad experience overall, even though it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.

My GPA is now a 2.9 since I changed majors and got a 4.0 last semester. I know that a 2.9 is still not steller by any means, but i think it is more realistic and it shows a lot of improvement that I got all A’s last semester
So, i know my grades are still a detriment. But I think I have a chance at this one particular house.

So far, I have been to two parties and two of the actives, one of whom is the recruiting chair, asked me out to lunch. I also think them inviting me to lunch is a really good sign, although I don’t know if they do that to everyone? But they can’t possibly have time to do that to everyone, can they? I was invited to a third party later this week. i am thinking this might be the last event because we are also supposed to find out if we got a bid or not by later this week.

When I signed up, I was unclear on if invitations would be a formality for all girls who signed up, or if they would would only invite the girls they are interested. since there are some houses that are participating in spring recruitment that i haven't gotten any invitations from, they appear to all be exclusive, but maybe each house does things differently?

My positives other than my grades are that i am outgoing, I am involved in a lot of other activities around campus, and I present myself/dress well. Every aspect besides my grades is a positive for me, but I am aware of how much grades matter and that it’s a real possibility my grades could overshadow all of that.

Basically, I’m confused if all of their invites are just a formality, or if they are taking me seriously.

I’m obviously very nervous about how this whole thing is going. I just don’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed again. I want to be in a Greek organization, and I know that, being in my fourth semester, this is my last realistic chance. But I don’t even know how realistic this chance is.

Does it sound like I have a shot? Also, do you have any other spring recruitment advice? It's hard to find stuff on the internet because most of the stuff is for formal recruitment. What would a later spring recruitment entail? does spring recruitment typically have an event that is kind of like a pref night?

QFP

You are way overthinking things. Go to the events. Make some friends. Stop obsessing. If they offer you a bid, they offer you a bid. If they don't, they don't.

True and Constant