View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Saturday, Round 3: Sisterhood

Thank you all so much for your kind words! It really does mean a lot to me.

Completely opposite from the day I had picked up my Philanthropy schedule, I was one of the last names to be called to pick up my Sisterhood schedule. I could feel my heart racing with every second that passed. I opened my schedule to find:
Lemon Pound Cake
Blueberry Cobbler
Strawberry Shortcake
3 out of 6. But most importantly, WHERE was Mango Peach Lemonade?! Ouch. Rejection had hurt worse than I had expected it to. In fact, it felt a little like getting slapped in the face, followed by a few bee stings and half a bottle of “no tears” soap in my eyes to finish it off. I had prepared for this exact moment for months now, so why was that familiar sharp pain of disappointment still present in my throat? Realizing that I would only feel worse if I tried to bury my true reaction to the situation, I allowed myself to be an emotional 18 year old girl in the minutes that followed after I received that schedule. I knew that this morning had been a big deal for a lot of other girls too, so I wasn't surprised when multiple PNMs squealed with excitement/cried hysterically/threw their schedule on the ground (yes, one girl really did this). I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t disappointed by my schedule because initially, I was. I was disappointed that so many houses had already determined I wasn’t what they were looking for. I was ESPECIALLY disappointed that I would never join my friends as a Mango Peach Lemonade. I quickly grieved over my losses before reminding myself of the houses that were still on my list. These houses were filled with beautiful, intelligent sisters that were willing to give me another chance, and that in and of itself amazed me.

Lemon Pound Cake: Again, the decor of this house was simply breathtaking. The snacks presented to us were unique and delicious. Their video was well put together and seemed to really showcase their personality as a chapter. Members read letters that they had written to other sisters in the chapter, and the round was finished with a beautiful song. I had heard rumors about this house the entire week, essentially saying that they only took girls of a certain type. I was not this type, but I of course respected the sisters who were, so I figured if this house invited me back I would still be incredibly excited because of the positive experiences I had had there all week long.
Blueberry Cobbler: The active that I talked to was absolutely wonderful. She was so real in a way that I had seen very little of throughout the week. The sisters of this house spoke about their big and little relationships, as well as how they had all grown closer throughout the year. I also liked the video that they played for us.
Strawberry Shortcake: This house had been a bit of a question mark for me all week. This house was decorated beautifully, and while I didn’t connect on a personal level with the active I spoke to, we made polite conversation throughout the round. She seemed sweet and really passionate about her house, but we just didn’t automatically click in the way that I had with many of the other sisters in other houses.

I casted my vote as:
1. Lemon Pound Cake
2. Blueberry Cobbler
3. Strawberry Shortcake

I always get the feeling that I haven’t done enough, that I wasn’t what people wanted, that I didn’t live up to the standards or expectations of others, no matter how prepared I feel. Surprisingly, I didn’t feel that way after I finished this round. In my heart, I knew I’d done all that I could at that point to show these women who I was and what I had to offer. I’d been introduced to some amazing chapters, to some incredible women. I’d cried over my losses, and I’d laughed with new friends that were just as confused as I was. I had presented these sororities with what I was. For some, it would not be enough. I knew this. But I hoped that for just one, it would be.