View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Keep in mind that just because the national org may be very receptive to AIs, the local alums may not be so much so. And usually that's who you go thru for AI - not the national org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
This. And sometimes there might be lack of awareness on the part of local alums, or depending on how active local alums might be this can also present a challenge. For those who I have known that joined as AI's it seemed in many cases it was a lot of hurry up and wait.
A big yes to what these ladies said.

Our national organization is actually holding a webinar soon regarding this exact topic. I actually wouldn't have known about AI at all if I never visited this site. It's not exactly a common occurrence. And while collegiate members are focusing on recruiting undergraduates, alumnae are focused on their lives/alumnae chapters, and the last thing they're thinking is "We need to recruit more members!"

A lack of understanding/knowledge of this option by the GLO's members is a huge hurdle to overcome when pursuing AI. This is why an AI is usually someone that the GLO's members know well and/or someone that has contributed to the sorority in a big way. Rather than having a "stranger" approach the sorority and be honored as an AI, it's more likely that the members recognize a person's dedication to the community, philanthropic work, and/or the sorority directly, and that they're a good friend of the members, prompting at least a few members to think/say, "I wish she was a sister..."

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-28-2014 at 11:54 AM.