View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It is not my belief, as a non-NPC member, that picking and choosing which members get to "stay" as the face of the chapter, is a good practice. I was able to read the threads and various articles objectively. I do not have a bad opinion of your sorority because of this, but I do believe that everyone makes mistakes.
I would agree to an extent. Every year in rush, that's exactly what you are doing, picking and choosing who is the face of your chapter. The problem arises when you select members and then someone esle comes in and says "oh, those girls aren't good enough" or "these sisters aren't what the chapter truly needs". In this instance I'm sure we'll never really know all the details of the situation surrounding why some individual were asked to stay and others to leave. All I have heard is the displaced women's opinion, that it is because of appearance alone that they were asked to become alumnae. I doubt very much that that was the only cirteria for who they requested to remain an active member. DZ has a very diverse membership, as you can see at any convention. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the representatives found that those women were just not what the chapter needed to continue and to grow and be successful. Timing was poor, and it seems it was not handled with much delicacy. A significant amount of the DZ sisterhood everywhere is aware of what has transpired and discussion is quite divided on it. It's really an awful situation, and it just doesn't reflect well on the sorority as a whole, and even extends beyond Delta Zeta and makes the entire greek system appear very superficial because of the press it is getting. It is even gained some amount of national attention by the New York Times.

I'm thankful that it has not effected your opinion of Delta Zeta, I only wish everyone was as understanding as yourself.

DZRose