View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd be very interested to know the particulars, but if there were 10 hospital trips, while guests and members may have overindulged, it appears there was someone cautious and responsible enough to seek medical attention for those who needed it. I'm not saying that excuses everything else, but one thing which was lacking in I want to say all of the recent drug/alcohol related deaths is that medical attention was not sought until it was too late.

I'm not sure how shutting down because something might happen is proactive. Suspending official activities of fraternities is not going to stop underage drinking nor will it stop 18-21 year olds from making poor decisions in the moment. Suspending these organizations will, however, for example, remove the degree of organization and caution which prompted that organization to ensure 10 ambulances were called to their event despite I'm sure being fully aware of the heat that would bring down on them.

And now they have a lose-lose at Michigan. If they suspend activities and nothing bad happens, they did just suspend activities and everyone is playing catch up in the Spring. If activities are suspended and something bad happens anyway, then it will be said things are so out of control that the IFC system is beyond even its own control.
I understand and actually agree with all your points. I'm glad there were people with enough sense to call ambulances, even if they knew there would be negative consequences. I hope that continues. After other events in the past few years, I think Greek Life at Michigan has had a target on its back, and I think for the most part, the kids are trying their best to get things under control. I hope that by IFC shutting themselves down, maybe it will wake everyone up so that things will improve in the future. I don't know what the answer is.