Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDZPledge View Post

I thought this may be of interest to a few people. I visited the HQ and museum for Delta Zeta this summer. As I love badges, I snapped this pic. It's the badges, new member pins, recognition pins, and flowers of each of Delta Zeta's mergers.

From the website "The first of four mergers by Delta Zeta Sorority with other sororities occurred in 1941 with Beta Phi Alpha, the first collegiate fraternity for women to originate on the United States' West Coast. Organized as Bide-a-Wee at the University of California/Berkeley, in 1909, it had become a Greek-letter organization by 1919 and was admitted to the National Panhellenic Conference in 1923. At their convention in Lakeside, Ohio in 1941, Beta Phi Alpha delegates voted to become part of Delta Zeta. Phi Omega Pi was founded at the University of Nebraska as the Achoth (Hebrew for "sisters") Sorority and was for women affiliated with the Order of the Eastern Star. The sisterhood became a Greek organization in 1922, and in the next 11 years merged with several sororities. Phi Omega Pi became a part of Delta Zeta in 1946. Delta Sigma Epsilon had been founded at Miami University in 1914 by a group of women committed to scholarship and high ideals. Devoted to students in education, it had chapters on four campuses within 17 months. Delta Sigma Epsilon merged with Delta Zeta in 1956. Theta Upsilon was founded on the University of California/Berkeley campus in 1909. Choosing the name Mekatina, a Native American word meaning "among the hills," the group became an official university organization on January 1, 1914, and merged with Delta Zeta in 1962."
According to Wikipedia, in addition to Delta Zeta and the four above, there are three other non-local sororities that had merged into these prior to their merger with Delta Zeta.
Pi Delta Theta had merged with Delta Sigma Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Delta had merged with Lambda Omega which then merged with Theta Upsilon.

So Eight in total...

Last edited by naraht; 01-11-2016 at 04:59 PM.