View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletsAreBlue View Post

Would I compare it to an Ole Miss or Bama rush? No. But there's a different type of intensity there and one shouldn't underestimate it.
You have elaborated on what I was trying to say. An SEC type school has recruitment that is way more intense and there is a pressure on the PNMs who feel like they have to get into the greek system. At many of the less greek focused schools - there is not the added pressure of what people might think if you don't join a GLO.

The point I was trying to make is that there may be more value, stress, pressure placed on PNMs at SEC type schools, but the actual statistical ability to join a sorority is probably the same. It may not feel that way - but I suspect the NPC data would support that.

My daughter went through fall formal recruitment at a school that I thought was going to be very "easy." It's not a small liberal arts college like many of the schools with small greek systems are. It's actually a mid-sized, highly academic state school with a diverse student population. In this case I think academic performance and achievements are weighted very heavily. (example Ole Miss has around 30 national merit scholarships - my daughter's school has over 140). At her school - the sororities compete for NMF PNMs. While any of us who were in the greek system know grades and scholarship are important - there seems to be a heightened focus at this school.

So what sororities look for in a sister is not necessarily the same at different schools. But there is still the membership quota set by RFM.

In my daughters Rho Gam group they had one girl upset with her day two invites. She went to the parties but did not rank afterwards (Withdrew). And they had one girl SIP and not get placed. There were about 200 PMNs. So either my daughter had an unfortunate Rho Gam group - or things probably played out similar to the UGA stats. Since the attrition in my daughters Rho Gam group that I know about (I believe there were more - these were just the two she was close with, she tried to talk the one that withdrew into sticking it out) would be 1% of PNMs.

And according to NPC placement of PNMs that attend round one parties is 80% nationally. I think you probably won't find much deviation from that statistic - from large schools with huge greek systems to smaller schools with a handful of chapters.