View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
Agreed, low grade girls get cut heavy. I'm mostly just disputing the mediocre part of the thread title, because a girl can most definitely, and most likely will, get in a sorority with mediocre grades. no one is getting released entirely from recruitment because of a 3.2. (which was clarified in the body paragraph, I just feel like having that in the title is misleading).

I would consider my grades at the time bad, so yeah my story is probably the exception. I was released entirely from my first recruitment. The second time around I did spring recruitment (which I recommend to anyone with a lower GPA, since they don't have to make as many heavy cuts in the beginning and they get to know your personality more), and not all sororities do spring recruitment on my campus. Only 4 of the 12 participated this year, I believe. So, were my options severely limited because of my grades, both times? Yes!!! But I got into the #1 house that I had been hoping for since the first time around and I couldn't be happier. I feel even more grateful knowing that even though i wasn't the ideal PNM on paper, they still saw something in me that made them want to have me as a sister.
The bolded is my point. When you are going through recruitment with low grades, you are going to be limited.

If you don't care how many options you have, then go you.

However, I feel like every PNM needs to put themselves in the BEST position to maximize their options. Your GPA has the power to take chapter's off the table before you even start. Why do that to yourself? You basically shoot yourself in the foot before recruitment starts.

Ex: Let's say there are 5 chapters on campus. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Kappa, Delta.

Alpha and Beta's GPA is a 3.5
Gamma is a 3.2
Kappa is a 3.0.
Delta is a 2.85.

If you have a 3.6, your grades are golden for every chapter. Are those a 4.0? No but you put yourself in the best spot to be able to consider everyone. Even if they cut you down the line, at least you are not getting cut on day one due to grades and you have the opportunity to meet everyone.

If you have a 3.1, can you still get a bid? Sure. You still have grades for Kappa and Delta, but you just limited your pool by 2 chapters.

5 options > being automatically limited to 2.

Sidenote: I don't know what school you're at but grades matter for spring recruitment as well. I've worked with collegiate chapters of my sorority at a number of schools and the GPA is still a requirement even during smaller spring recruitment. My chapters were not permitted to bid anyone below the minimum at any time.

You may have been a rare exception. Which is why I responded to this. Sure it is great you got a bid with a subpar GPA but I definitely do not want any PNMs thinking this happens all the time, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I was at a graduation party last weekend, and the honoree's elder brother is in a fraternity. He & I talked, and he told me that the ADPi chapter at his school required a 3.75 for initiation. I was shocked, impressed, and dismayed, all at the same time!
Yes! I was recently at our Convention and I am routinely impressed with how high some of the HS GPA requirements are on our campuses.

Lakers Nation.