View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
"My sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho, has a step where we tie our legs together with another member and step but I have not seen all chapters do this."

You know what's odd? I could've sworn that the group I saw doing that stunt had the letters Sigma and Rho in it. I thought it was Sigma Gamma Rho, but they were guys! In my previous post I was going to say that it was Sigma Gamma Rho that made up that stunt, but then I saw your signature and remembered that Sigma Gamma Rho was a sorority, so I thought I probably made a mistake and just forgot what the letters to that group was. But then you said your sorority did this stunt as well! Now I'm so confused. I'm assuming either it's a coincidence and that group that I saw was still a different organization or they were in some way affiliated with your sorority?

"It's also probably not a good idea to watch too many D9 stepshows while you're doing this so that your creativity can be fresh and new."

You're right. In past actually, when I watched the most was the period when I had realized that some of our old moves we took from Cali chapters were *not* ours, and so I was trying to find out how many and which ones. I gave up eventually because it was too time consuming to watch too many and just assumed every step that wasn't ours was potentially copied (which is why we don't even use material from our neighboring chapters anymore). Of course I still like to go to step-shows when they are around on campus because it is fun to watch .
You should know that moves/steps that you see the D9 performing are not copied from groups outside of the D9 so you can bet that if you see a group outside of the D9 performing the same step that a D9 group also performed, that group either copied or is/was affiliated with the D9 group in some way.

I'm almost certain that who you saw performing this step was the Sigma Rhomeos "Fraternal Order of Classy Gentlemen (FOCG)." You will see them wearing the greek letter for Sigma and an "R" for Rhomeo. The Sigma Rhomeos developed from an auxillary group (Sigma Gamma Rhomeos) we had many years ago. It was a group of men (mostly boyfriends and husbands) who supported and assisted Sigma Gamma Rho in our daily operations and community service. In 1990 the D9 decided to ban all auxillary groups like this so our affiliation with this group ended. Since then the group has gone on to become their own non-greek fraternity and they continue to bring in new members although their chapters are mostly in Texas with some in Florida and other places. Since they were once affiliated with us, their colors are the same as ours, they probably do some of the same steps, and they also step with canes (they got this from us and we got it from the Kappas). Because of the cane stepping there has been some animosity between the Kappas and Sigma Rhomeo on campuses where both exist. I have met some Sigma Rhomeos and they usually refer to us as their sisters although we have no affiliation with them anymore and we have no official brother organization. For the most part, many of our members still consider them family and we have no problem with them. Here is a link to one website of theirs: http://www.ou.edu/student/romeos/.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 04-13-2007 at 02:56 PM.