View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Partnerincrime
adpiucf- How did your group go about the PX initiation? That sounds really interesting!

Also, how did you go about contacting UCLA about the ropes course? Did you just call their office?

Thanks for all of your help!
Hi there Partnerincrime,

For the PX initiation, the Panhellenic Exec got their heads together and wrote a ceremony. It's not a real sorority ritual, but you could tell it was influenced by their sorority experiences!

They used a candle lighting ceremony, and a central altar table where we pledged our allegiance to Panhellenic over the Panhellenic Creed and swore to uphold our responsibilties as counselors. We were pinned with homemade black and gold pins (our school colors are black and gold).

I think one of the nice things about doing this is that it gave Pan Exec an opportunity to reflect on their ritual and a chance to work together on creating a ceremony to use for PX.

It also made PX feel like a special experience, its own organization where members of the different sororities came together for a new kind of sisterhood, where we pledged to educate the PNMS and serve as their objective guide through sorority recruitment.

And yes, if you google UCLA ropes course, you should get a contact. I always recommend calling and talking to a live person to get all your questions answered. Usually in the course of a conversation questions will come up that you may have not even thought to ask through email! It is perfectly ok to email. I think the people at UCLA are excellent about checking their email and voicemail-- you are a potential paying customer, after all!

If you're unable to do the ropes course, why not do a cook out at the beach? You can do plenty of getting to know you games, and your office of Greek Life or the Office of Student Orientation is bound to have books of ice breaker games.

ETA: I think it is important to add that the description of the PX ceremony for UCF that was done in 1999 (and very likely changes each year!) above is not any kind of national or local sorority ritual, and it isn't breaking any kind of code or confidence to talk about it.

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-23-2005 at 02:15 PM.