View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
Greetings!

It's been a long time coming for me, and with a lot of soul-searching, research, observing, and waiting, I have reached a crossroads that I have yet to overcome. So I thought why not go straight to the source with my inquiries!

I am a prospect of XYZ, and after getting myself in the best position to be the most competitive and desirable applicant possible I was ready to take the first step to seeking membership.

Then the problem arose.

I attend an institution in the south that is infamous for having an almost non-existent minority population. Due to this fact, the NPHC orgs on campus post fliers, tweets, and Facebook updates about upcoming interest meetings. There will be fliers on every flat surface you can see! All of the orgs except the one I am interested in.

In a way, this sort of offends me. Semester after semester a new line of girls magically appear. Even other greeks are confused!

To get to the point, is there something I'm not understanding about seeking membership? The university requires certain documentation be submitted a set amount of days before the interest meeting and more afterwards, but how am I to do so if there is never a meeting! Or for a different perspective, if the interest meetings aren't made known to the general public?
Quote:
1) There doesn't seem to be a specific grouping of topics just for NPHC orgs, and members from all orgs seem to have input in multiple places, so the placement of this thread isn't for specific reasons.

2) I apologize if that fact seemed to be an 'inconsistency' but it stands true. There is a very small population of minorities at my institution, but I never said how many members are being initiated at a time, nor did I specify the ethnicity of these members. Those facts are irrelevant to my question.

3) I do not consider this a question of 'membership'. Rather I consider this a question of protocol. If I'm not mistaken, an official Rush (or interest meeting) must be attended before someone is considered. Are there exceptions to this rule? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

I'm not asking for someone to tell me 'how to get into XYZ'. I feel if I'm right for the organization, I can do so on my own. My question boils down to, who do I need to contact to make sure the chapter of the org at my institution is doing things appropriately? I feel justified in questioning this.
Quote:
Maybe there is more I have yet to uncover, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Would you feel comfortable purchasing a new car without the dealer revealing how much you'd be billed each month? The condition of the engine? The miles on the car?

It could be possible that my six years of the military has put me in a strictly upfront, business-like mindset because the responses I have received so far on this forum are not what I expected.
Quote:
Actually, don't mind my last post.

I see this is not a community where aspirants are embraced or educated. This has opened my eyes to the nature of these organizations. Thank you for your time and opinions. Be blessed.
The community where you need to be educated is the community in which you aspire to be a member. There are members on campus. That is who you need to befriend.