View Single Post
Old 12-13-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Points of interest:

1. Dixiecrats came from the Democratic Party.
2. Without the votes of Republican senators, the Civil Rights Act would not have passed.
3. Al Gore's father voted against the CRA.

A friend of mine was at Ole Miss when Trent Lott was there and knows him personally. She said he is a fine man. He came from a blue-collar family, so whatever he accomplished, he accomplished without financial aid from his family.

I don't think he was wishing for slavery to return. I think he was just complimenting Strom Thurmond on Strom's accomplishments. He may have misspoken, but I don't think he is a racist. What politician with any political hopes for advancement would have said something so inflammatory in such a public forum and meant it?!? Mr. Lott has apologized, which is more than a lot of politicians do.

I've seen accounts in the media of things I know about that totally misrepresent the facts. Taking things out of context puts a bad light or good light on those situations, depending on the slant the reporter wants.

I'm not politically savvy, but this "jumping on [people] like a duck on a June bug" mentality is tiresome, especially when it only goes one way.