View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3llkay View Post
When I first transferred to my school this past fall (I'm a sophomore at a northern Ivy), I had a lot of friends who already went here and who are now in sororities. My closest friend's sorority has very strict risk management rules, and she was yelled at for having dinner with me and going out with me the first week of the semester by her standards chair because I was unaffiliated. We do spring rush, so it's not like this occurred during the recruitment period, and the university I attend to doesn't have a policy against open contact except during recruitment. It was just her chapter. I can understand the reasoning behind many rules, but it seemed pretty harsh to bar her from seeing me. We're just very careful to hang out off campus now - luckily she has a car.
Are there Ivies that aren't in the north?

Risk management rules wouldn't have anything to do with going to dinner with a friend. I don't know what kinds of rules those would be, but they sound ridiculous. I've not seen something like that ever, unless it is recruitment rules. But those are not risk management rules. Risk management rules are more like- not drinking if you're under the legal age (follow the law.. imagine that?) and get buses if you're going to an event with alcohol that is not in walking distance, etc. Rules to reduce the likelihood that someone would be injured, killed, in trouble with the law, etc.