View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I hadn't even considered the effect that phrase might have on people, but now that I think about it, it's so true! Sometimes it sets girls up with too high of expectations and they end-up being dissapointed. Yes, especially here in the South where your average state university might have anywhere from 200 to 400 rushees each fall.

A good example might be my roommate. She's a total sweetheart, and we had a whole conversation a few nights ago about our different sororities, comparing the sisterhood. I had been saying something about an activity with my sisters, and out of the blue she asked, "Do you really like your sorority? I mean, are you all really close?" She said several of her sisters are so uptight and serious about everything that it's not fun for her anymore sometimes. The few girls I do know in that sorority are really friendly, but I do have to agree that they seem very serious, and they seem to not do much "fun stuff".

It's true that we all need some seriousness in order to maintain our dignity, but it is, however, a *social* sorority. Apparently her and her sisters really never hang out. In my case, although it's not as if I hang out with them 24/7, but we really do have good, close, sisterhood in our chapter.
A few examples: After pretty much every meeting, someone will spontaneously say "hey, let's go to Chili's or O'Charlie's", and usually anywhere from ten to thirty of us will show up, and hang out there for a couple hours. One of our new officers, after noticing that some people were eating lunch alone, came up with the brilliant idea of having particular days in which we all meet up for lunch (of course, it's not required, but certainly a good idea) and hang out together. Then two other girls piped-up to say that on Tuesdays and Thursdays they bring lunches to the chapter room and watch TV in there together.

We also have the occasional "movie night" where we watch a video in the chapter room in our pajamas, and bring snacks to share. Admittedly, my Big and I don't hang out all that often, but she works a lot and that's the main reason. Nonetheless, she's always there for me if I really need something. One time when I was frustrated with the stuff piling up in my dorm room, I called my Big and she drove me to a Target on a spur-of-the-moment-buy-some-storage-shelves trip before meeting. She's always there to lend an ear if I have something to vent about, too.

I know not everyone's so lucky as far as sisterhood goes, but you know what? The majority of people at Greek Chat to me represent the "creme de la creme" of Greeks in this world, because of their honest advice and willingness to help others. If anyone's going to do something about improving the Greek system, it's GCers. Carnation & PnguinTrax here are two great examples. I would definitely be lost if I hadn't found GC.