Thread: Disaffiliation
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
We always had 2 pledge classes a year and I think it did help in integrating women into the chapter (this was a relatively low key rush and chapters under 70, so factor that in).
SEC style recruitment IS very strenuous, but so is the pressure to COB up to quota. I've been there and sometimes it's just better to step back, say "we're done" and go start doing the fun things that draw us together and build sisterhood.
But I've also seen a sort of "formalized" COB. This was at U of Georgia. A fairly early second semester that had a sign-up period, beginning, middle and end with a bid day. The PNMs came for dinner at the house and conversation each night. I don't think there was a skit or anything but dinner...some rotation groups at the beginning. And after that bid day, with a few late additions, they were done and could get on with the rest of the year. It was much more relaxed...it picked up those transfers and girls who didn't go through in the fall and became more intrigued with sororities during the semester. I always thought it was a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And re the ever growing NM classes...a lot of that can be attributed to RFM and guaranteed bidding (if you follow the rules). Both these things look great on paper and inclusive, welcoming etc...all things that are great to dispel the "Greeks are too selective and snobby" stigma. But if disaffiliaion is increasing as well, are these things really helping our groups?
As a survivor of the early 1970s when we could not for the life of us pledge quota and had women quitting left and right, I would NOT want to go back to the bad old RFM days!
RFM is still, I think, the best thing that happened to NPC sorority systems!