View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
I do not know about Vanderbilt's Greek system (um, where is Vanderbilt???? ) But, I think she has a great idea here. I agree it may be misleading that she can "get them a bid" to a sorority with her advice. (If she is advertising that way....) But for those women who want to go through Recruitment who have

1 - a parent/parents who is/are not Greek, so can't really help them know what to expect.

2 - don't know anyone at Vanderbilt to give them suggestions about what to wear, how to act, etc...She can help with that.

3 - Help them with ideas about what to ask, what to look for - basically help with a PNM conversation side. (This would be great, because I know of several PNM who didn't get all the answers during Recruitment and ended up dropping because of finding out the "whole truth.." Like when and how much dues are. How much of a time requirement? etc.)

4 - Someone who has no idea about recommendations (where to get them, are they needed, how to get them). I know that is a big plus on many campuses.

I could probably come up with several other instances. I think she may be an asset

Quote:
Originally posted by Janerz222
If the Greek Ambassadors can't give "unbiased evaluations of the different chapters because the [they] are only familiar with their own particular sororities", how can she? Was she a member of all 10? Or, a member of none (which wouldn't speak highly of her services as a recruitment consultant)...

Now, for another point about how Ms. Donavan is tied to the Greek community at Vanderbilt, I don't know. I don't know how their Greek system is set up, how "cut-throat" recruitment is there. Since she is a graduate of Vanderbilt, I think she would have a pretty good idea of student and campus life to give advice to incoming students. My school is very different in many ways from a traditional campus. (PM me if you want details)

The way it works at ODU, for Formal Recruitment, is that over the summer and up till Formal Recruitment, there is a policy about promoting "Go Greek!" and participating in Formal recruitment. Stressing the good points: get to meet and see every sorority on campus (which there are 5 NPC currently here), see sisterhood for all, etc. etc. You know, the benefits to Formal Recruitment. We weren't allowed to promote one chapter over another. (It actually is a recruitment violation on our campus.)
As a Rho Chi (what we were called at the time), all of us met several times to discuss and learn about the other sororities on campus. So we could tell PNM colors, mascots, philanthropy, motto etc. We learned some of the others cheers/songs. We would be doing them outside a party with the chapter sisters. We even learned some random facts about each chapter.

Slightly Off-Topic
For our revealing, we sang a song from someone's chapter. At the end, those sisters would remove their Recruitment T-shirts (we had a different color than the ones given the PNM) only to reveal their letters. It was great fun for all of us. The chapters at Bid Day sang their song with us. So instead of fifteen of us singing, it was the Rho Chis and their sisters singing their song. I still remember the songs for AXiD and Alpha Phi. Plus, we did the ZTA version of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!" (I had to google that word to spell it right.) Needless to say, we Rho Chis had a blast that semester!!! We threw off the PNM to our identities. [/color]

Back to the topic...

And yes, I would even tell PNM to go to the National websites for the chapters to learn more info. Many of them I even pointed here to GC for advice.

I have to also agree with Munchkin03...I think there would be TONS of GC members who would perfect for this sort of thing.

Sorry this is so long.....Just wanted to add my two cents....

ETA : I needed to fix my stupid mistakes, man I can't wait for Fall Break!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."

Last edited by ZTABullwinkle; 10-02-2005 at 01:33 PM.