View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
One of my Facebook friends posted, "bring your souls to the polls" in reference to the voting in AZ today. I replied to his post with, "did you mean to say sell your souls at the polls?"

He didn't find it as funny as I did.
I can likely understand why he wouldn't. In many states, churches, primarily African-American churches but perhaps there are others, have organized efforts to get church and community members to polling locations -- often after Sunday services, thus the phrase "Souls to the Polls." I know many AA churches, here in Ohio, the broader Midwest, East Coast and South who are very serious about this.

Particularly in the face of past and current efforts -- largely by the GOP to be honest -- to tamp down the AA and other minority vote with false charges of voter fraud, trying to limit the length of early voting, etc..

Souls to the Polls is part of larger efforts undertaken by churches and other organizations to make sure the right to vote, earned at a terrible cost by previous generations, is able to be exercised.

That may be why dude didn't find your comment funny.
~ Luke 19:10