View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by InHocYall
Sigma Chi was based among other things on Christian values. I do not beleive that true fraternity can thrive when you are looking to 'date' brothers. As a brother in my chapter I prefer to preserve the prestige and tradition that have made us a top tier national fraternity. If you want to go progressive join some 'progressive' fraternity that was founded in 1998. I value tradition and am adapting my life to represent the ideals, not adjusting the ideals to modern times.
At Otterbein, every single fraternity has at least one openly gay member. There are no instances of brothers dating brothers. It just doesn't happen. Gay people don't hit on every person they see, just like hetero people don't hit on everyone they see.

You "preserve the prestige and tradition that have made you a top tier national fraternity"...well, guess what, some of that prestige and tradition is the result of brotherhood, which, more than likely, INCLUDES GAY MEN. I'd venture to say that every national fraternity has gay members, it's part of life.

and it's great that you were founded on christian ideals...shouldn't that mean accepting a brother as well? He is initiated in the same bonds as you, no? I'd never deny or denounce a sister because she's a lesbian. I'd never deny or denounce her because she's Muslim or Protestant or Jewish or Agnostic and I'm Catholic. I won't because she wears the same pin I do. She has equal value and standing in the sorority. Obviously, someone in my organization thought her worthy to enter our bonds, and in respect to that, I must trust my sister.

I'd also be denying one of my vows..."To thy own self be true". It's been our motto since 1915. Asking a sister to be anything other than what is in her heart is against our sorority law.

"It is easy to be with people we agree with, but it is enlightening to be with people whom we do not understand."