View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
APO is not housed under Fraternity and Sorority Life at Ole Miss (nor was it at Clemson). It's just another registered student organization that happens to have Greek letters. I presume Gamma Sigma Sigma or any other co-ed service group would be treated the same way there.

I'll also add that at Clemson Gamma Sigma Sigma was comprised entirely of female-identifying students even though they have no single-gender Title IX exemption. I don't know if they accomplished this exclusively through marketing themselves as an organization for women or through some other means, but some groups look different in practice than on paper.
Really depends on the school. A few have tried pulling all of the groups that actually pledge (regardless of what they call it) under the same umbrella as the NIC/NPC/NPHC GLOs. However, I'd expect that GSS like APO however is outside of "Official Greek Life" at the majority of its schools.

I don't have a good feeling for what degree Gamma Sigma Sigma's nationally created recruitment literature emphasizes that men can be in a chapter. The national website is pretty open about it (as opposed to Omega Phi Alpha which someone would assume based on everything national publishes online that they had a Title IX exemption)