View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAOPi View Post
I remember - teenagers looking like a Talbots catalogue.

My sister worked at the Limited in the early 80's when they were doing monogrammed shetland wool sweaters that we wore with our plaid skirts, knee socks, and clogs (quite comfy, actually).

I remember her coming out to the AOPi house and getting orders from the girls.

Don't forget the turned up collars of the Lacoste (right?) alligator polo shirts!

Fun thread - just a bit after I rushed, so I can relate to the styles!
This is how I always think of the 80's, too....MY 80's anyway! Funny thing is that I still dress pretty much the same way as I did then. I just bought a navy wrap dress and my husband said "don't you already have a dress like that?" Well, I DID, but it sure doesn't fit anymore!

I don't know if it was a "cool" thing to do everywhere or not, but we always wore our string of pearls inside our button down collar so it draped nicely on the front of the monogrammed shetland sweater. When we weren't wearing our add-a-bead necklaces, of course.

I didn't realize how subliminally influenced I was by the Official Preppy Handbook until I found it a few months ago when I was cleaning some bookshelves. I showed it to my husband and we were a bit freaked out that the drawing of the family inside the front cover (mom, dad and 4 kids) looked frighteningly like us!