View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I guess I don't really understand that pressure. Not every PNM is receiving such gifts, and if your own daughter is disappointed that she's not receiving gifts from you (the general you) every day of recruitment, perhaps she might need the reality of recruitment - and life - to knock her down here and there.

That might sound harsh, but I don't think that lavish gifts are necessary for talking to people for 10 hours in one day for five days straight.
Agree. I find this "gift-giving" to be coddling and part of why a lot of kids -- NOT ALL, to be clear - have "adjustment disorder" once they get to college and also post-college - it's a real thing in the therapy/student counseling world and counselors are seeing more kids from good families, top grades, etc. with this issue.

And sorry if I offend any moms here who've done this, but I think the whole "parents being there on Bid Day" and running to the house (after daughter texts parents what they've pledged) and posing for pictures (including making the sorority's 'letters with their hands, posing with daughter and members) to be over the top. It happens at Ole Miss and at Alabama (a former colleague from LA flew in for Bid Day there two years ago). Probably at other Greek-intensive schools.

I'm glad this wasn't around when I pledged and I could enjoy the day with just my new sisters. No gifts either - just a tee-shirt with sorority letters and a sweet card from my temporary Big Sister.

Last edited by NYCMS; 02-05-2018 at 12:44 PM.