View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
*I knew several openly gay fraternity men during my time there (2003-2007), but I did notice a double standard in that I didn't know any openly gay sorority women, though I know some that came out after graduating. I don't know if this is more common everywhere, but I think it has to do with the [sad] fact that fraternities and sororities care about what the opposite sex GLOs on their campus think of them. In the eyes of sororities, bidding a gay man won't hurt a fraternity's "status", but fraternities don't want to mix with a chapter labeled as the "lesbian chapter". Just my theory.
I was just having this conversation with an NPC sorority alumnae, and we both came to the same conclusions. I think it also has to do with the way we (that is, IFC/NPC organizations) conduct recruitment. When your numbers requirements are less stringent their tends to be less stress about how your membership affects performance. Very generally speaking, I believe that men tend to think they can make the fraternity, where women tend to think the sorority makes them - so tent talk becomes a rampant issue for the way a PNM will perceive a group.

/hijack