View Single Post
Old 12-16-2001, 09:02 AM

Here's one that's a little better than my rho chi story - CA theta's post (among others) reminded me of this one.

We had a girl come through rush one year, who was all about joining a sorority. She didn't have a particular one in mind, she just wanted to be in one. Desperately. Think obsession.

At the time, we were a relatively new, small local sorority that wanted to grow our numbers. So we invited back almost everyone after round 1, including this girl. She was also invited back by one other sorority. I'd talked to her briefly during round 1, and was unimpressed, but figured, ok, we'll give her another chance.

Well, I had to rush her during theme party, and all I could think of was "OMG, we are going to give this girl a bid." I was actually trying to decide if I should deaffiliate rather than have this girl be my sister!

All she could talk about was how excited she would be on bid day when she got her bid. How she loved rush and would LOOOOVE to be in a sorority. Nothing about what she could contribute to our sisterhood, nothing about being interested in our ideals, or wanting to help out with our philanthropy work, or anything. Basically, she wanted the letters and the "instant popularity" that she thought being in a sorority would bring her. And, she'd seen our relatively low numbers compared to the other sororities, so she just assumed that we'd bid her.

A big thing we do beyond round 1 is to make personalized name tags for all the rushees. All the sororities put a lot of time into these, and they can be quite cute. Anyway, this girl had gone to the other sorority's theme party first, and she wore her name tag from that sorority, next to the one we gave her, throughout our *entire* theme party. (This is beyond gauche. You are allowed to keep your name tags, but you're supposed to remove them after each sorority's party. She just wanted to impress us that XYZ had invited her back too, so we better rush her hard if we want her. )

We had an extremely long discussion about whether to invite her to pref. Turns out, though, that I wasn't the only negatively-impressed sister, so we cut her (and thank goodness: she would have matched with us). The other sorority cut her too.

After rush, when rho chi's reaffiliated, she went up to the rho chi who was in my sorority, and bawled her out. "How could your sorority not want me, etc." Hello?? Rho chi's are deaffiliated - they don't have any contact with their chapters, let alone a vote!!

Total psycho.