View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been an adviser for AOII here at Ole Miss since last year. I would like to say that yes we need a new sorority at Ole Miss but I am not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. The main reason is land...there isn't enough of it and there are no more empty sorority houses since the university bought them to use classrooms for Applied Sciences College(old ZTA house) and the Honors College (old ADPi House). I think that the investment a sorority would have to make in order to build a new house, find land (the only land that might be able to hold a house is a parking lot next door to the Tri Delta house), and they must be strong in the south. I would like to see Alpha Gamma Delta here since they are strong at Bama and schools in TN, or even Gamma Phi Beta since they are huge in the south as well.

We use to have Delta Zeta, ZTA, AZDee, and ADPi here at Ole Miss. I think the fact that those houses left for their reasons would make it harder for them to recolonize. However, I know since I work in Alumni Affairs for Ole Miss that they all have strong alumni who would be willing to support a new chapter.

We do have a new philanthropic sorority Omega Phi Alpha. They have about 50 members and are doing well with getting girls who might not be able to afford the dues of a Panhellenic Sorority.

Yes all of the houses did make quota and we (AOII) got 95 new members. I think Pi Beta Phi got 95 as well. Every house got their tip top rushees and the girls that did not get a bid either dropped out or did not play the game. Another reason for the high numbers was that the new regret with interest option helped out big time.

more about rush this year online at the DM online
http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/dis.../3f8261746f0e9