View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am disappointed in the responses to this article. I am astounded that this young woman is being called “nasty” or a “racist” for what was in all likelihood a crude and unfunny joke. Maybe it was a poor attempt at pointing out the absurdity of having a gift shop at an artifact of a low point in our country’s history. Maybe she truly is a racist, but if that one stupid comment is the sum total of the evidence, well, no. I would make fun of a gift shop at Auschwitz because who in their right mind would think that it is a good idea to sell tin spoons or t-shirts commemorating the Holocaust? But I digress...
I understand that times have changed and am personally glad that much of the behavior that I engaged in and/or condoned will not be repeated, but seriously, give this child a break.
If you were a member of an NPC chapter anywhere in the South (or really anywhere) at any time prior to Y2K, did you speak up against having Pimps and Hoes mixers or attending/hosting other equally offensively themed events? Did you vote against qualified African American PNMs or just standby as your sisters and/or advisors said “over my dead body”? Did you paint a Confederate Flag on a Mountain Weekend gift cooler or help a friend or sister do so? Did you wear an event t-shirt featuring the Confederate Flag?
Again, times have changed, but are you willing to throw stones at this Panhel sister for a bad joke, letting her be the poster child for institutional racism?
Throwing the baby out with the bath water like this is why Dave Chappelle, Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock will not set foot on college campuses.
If we do not stand up for each other now, our organizations will be gone in 20 years, all student organizations will. I am proud to be a member of a diverse sisterhood and want all students to have a wonderful college experience, but cannot see how condemning this child is doing anything other than advancing call out culture.
So I wrote a similar missive on this yesterday under my main account only to have it disappear...maybe it is for the best as my feelings may not be shared by my organization.