View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine's boring, too, plus it was forty-leven years ago.
But here goes:

I missed the deadline for formal rush, but I really didn't care one way or another. Good thing - I doubt I would have survived!
About a month after school started, I saw some signs stapled to telephone poles announcing "open rush" for sororities. There was no mention of which sororities were participating. You signed up in the Panhellenic office at the student center and waited until someone called you.

Around a week after I signed up, I got a call. A sorority woman invited me to dinner at the house on Thursday night. Back then, the most formal of dinner nights as Thursday. No pants, dresses only.
I accepted, and she said she'd come get me at my dorm. I liked her right away - she laughed easily and seemed thrilled that I was visiting.
We joined chapter members in the living room, and she introduced me to her roommate and several other sisters, including the president (I was so impressed). I loved the house, especially the living room which was filled with beautiful antiques. I loved the variety of personalities. The food was great. Everyone welcomed me enthusiastically!

A few days later, another sorority invited me to dine. The person who called had been my roommate during freshman orientation, and had taught me that certain sororities were "the best" on campus and certain sororities weren't. Guess what - she had wound up in one that wasn't (of course, I didn't know that then - I was open to any group).
This house - meaning the physical house - was the total opposite. It was new and sparsely furnished. It seemed cold and unfinished.

After a week, a third sorority called. The woman who met me at the door (neither the second nor third sorority offered to come get me) was from my hometown. I knew who she was, but doubted she knew who I was, since I was a nobody in high school. It seemed to me she was doing this under duress - now I would guess that she was just nervous.
This house had some antiques and some new pieces. The house itself was in a courtyard design, which I thought clever but also seemed to make the rooms feel smaller. Nobody really seemed to care if I was there or not. I was a little uncomfortable.

Next thing I knew, house #1 invited me to dine again. I declined an invitation to dine again at house #2. A couple of days later, house #1 offered me a bid, which I accepted.
Two weeks later, house #3 invited me to return...of course I was a DG pledge by then!