View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezeelove View Post
okay, so i talked to the president of my chapter of delta zeta, and she said we only had one merger/absorbed one sorority. she said at president's academy that's what they tell everyone.
so either our president's academy is wrong, or this is wrong?
i have no clue, but i'd like to believe that this is right : ]
Maybe it's a matter of terminology, or perhaps a miscommunication at that academy? At any rate, whatever you call it -- merger, absorption, or something else -- four former NPC sororities have become part of Delta Zeta over the years:

Beta Phi Alpha in 1941
Phi Omega Pi in 1946 ( essentially this involved accepting Phi Omega Pi alumnae into DZ; the few collegiate chapters of Phi Omega Pi for the most part separately were accepted into other NPC sororities, or else disbanded)
Delta Sigma Epsilon in 1956
Theta Upsilon in 1962

The official history of Delta Zeta covering 1902 - 1982 gives basic information about all four of these sororities, starting on page 144.

Every single edition of Baird's Manual after the end of World War II kept up with info on these additions to DZ, too.

By the way, in 1941 the Beta Phi Alpha chapter at Miami (OH) -- where DZ's Alpha chapter is located -- did NOT participate in the merger. It was treated separately; it was honorably released from Beta Phi Alpha and almost immediately became a chapter of Alpha Chi Omega (all the members of the chapter met Alpha Chi's national membership standards / requirements).

Last edited by exlurker; 05-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.