View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup--even though a lot of people say to downplay negative thoughts when speaking with your rusher (you get the same advice on the "other side," BTW), I always appreciate honesty! Don't dwell on the fact that you have the sniffles or you're feeling nervous, but honesty is always appreciated.

Another related piece of advice: don't exaggerate or bluff when you're trying to stand out. You'll look fake, and some folks can see right through that sort of thing.

I always remember girls with a sense of humor. Like has been said before, try to make a connection with your rushers, like having friends in common, the same major/minor/interests/activities/church/honors programs/etc., and make sure you show that you're interested! Even if you aren't necessarily enthused with a certain chapter, still show interest in them. Humor us, please. Everyone goes way out of their way to throw rush events, so even if you're more interested in a different chapter, still be pleasant and find out all about the chapter that you're in at the moment. Even if you end up going elsewhere, you'll end up doing activities like Greek Week, philanthropy events, and all kinds of other things with them later on, so why not get to know them at rush?

If you're in a school with deferred recruitment, it's also a good idea to get to know sorority women during your first semester there. We don't bite, really, so if you're in a class, club, or even in line somewhere with a sorority girl, introduce yourself! We're always glad to meet girls who are interested in rushing later on and if you know girls in the room beforehand, it helps you stand out to that sorority AND feel more comfortable in that room.

Amen to accessories--I showed up to our informal "Fall Parties" day trying to follow the t-shirt and jeans dress code EXACTLY, but I definitely wished I had played around with cute accessories because everyone else looked so cute!

Also, wear cute but comfortable shoes. Cute shoes can be another thing that can help you stand out, and it's easier to function, period, if you're able to stand sans pain. Go shopping for something that will look great for each day and break them in beforehand. Luckily, I see more and more cute flats lately, so I guess now's a good time to be going through rush! You don't have to wear heels if they make you uncomfortable, but don't wear your grandma's shapeless loafers, either, if you intend to stand out somehow.