View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring To A University Without My Chapter

*Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this post, I'm new around here!*

So here's the situation: I'm a second semester college freshman who did not go through formal recruitment but took an open bid from my NPC sorority back around late September and got initiated several weeks later. I wasn't really aware of what Greek Life did or was involved in until I got to college and went to a few open sisterhoods, and now that I know about its connections to philanthropy and it's great support system for its members, I don't want to be without it.

I am a very academically driven student, and I've discovered that the university I am attending now does not provide the best environment for that, which is one of the main reasons why I am looking to transfer elsewhere. This isn't much of a surprise, the choice to attend this school was more hasty than I would have preferred, but I didn't see myself wanting to transfer when I joined my sorority, that's why I went through with it. My education is extremely important to me though, and I do love my sisters and everything, I just think it is best that I find a university that I feel suits my drives and aspirations more.

I've read that it is possible to transfer to a school with a chapter of your sorority and have a chance to get accepted in by them through a voting system. However, the sorority I am affiliated with is extremely regional and there is not another university in my state or any neighboring states that hosts a chapter of this sorority, let alone also having my major (I've done a lot of looking and research about all of this).

So I'm really looking for some advice here, and I know the members of this forum can be really helpful. I love Greek Life and everything it stands for, but my education is so important too, and I'd hate to have to give it all up because I signed that open bid just a few short months ago. I've been a member for such a short time that I haven't even really had a chance to get that heavily involved like I would love to.

Long story short, would there be any possible way for me to stay a part of Greek Life if I were to transfer to another school without a chapter of this sorority? I really don't mind if there are a ton of hoops to jump through for this, in my mind it would be worth the effort.

Thanks for any and all advice!