View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I could not resist joining in on this one, regarding the alleged "brothel law" in Detroit. I did a search of all the Detroit Municipal Code and the Zoning Ordinances and Wayne County Code and Ordinances. The result: no law prohibiting sororities having houses (or women's dorms). Sec. 38-5-5 does prohibit the following:

"Sec. 38-5-5. Disorderly house, house of ill fame, gaming house, etc.– Keeping of same prohibited. No person shall keep, within the city, any house of ill fame, house of assignation, or house for the resort of common prostitutes, or a disorderly saloon, barroom, tavern, beer hall, grocery, theater, room, ordinary house or building of any kind, or any house, room or building for gaming with cards, dice, billiards, nine- or ten-pin alleys, wheels of fortune, boxes, machines or other instruments or devices whatever, or shall in any manner contribute to the support, carrying on or keeping of any such house or place. "

Obviously does not apply to sororities. Also the only Zoning Ordinance refering to unrelated persons living under the same roof dealt with single family housing. Again not applicable to sororities.

I would love to see any citation that the poster can find on the/any Detroit brothel law applying to sororities. A newspaper, magazine, or Wiki article are not legitimate legal sources.

I actually find this thread pretty funny. What are they teaching in some colleges now that these supposed college students or grads can't get the point of this thread? (Thinking, research, checking sources, proof....?)