View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
alex, how old are you?

if you were old enough to be the mom of a 17 year old, most likely you would not be in favor of letting your 17 year old daughter move half way across the country to be a rock star. the probability of a random 17 year old from anytown, middle america becoming a rock star is slim. it's great to have dreams, but there needs to be a dose of reality mixed in.
Old enough to know that letting a 17 year old go all starry-eyed and receive a bitter disappointment is the wrong way to go about this. If she wants it to be a reality, I don't see why the correct avenues can't be followed to attempt to facilitate it.
For instance, at one point I thought that writing was what I wanted to do. Instead of just sitting down with a laptop and getting a crappy part-time job, my parents were willing to pay for me to go to writer's workshops, conferences, take courses, whatever it would take to help me as long as I put 110% towards my dream. I just think the same applies here. You can be extremely realistic while helping someone at the same time. That's my point. I'm not saying 'let her go, she'll be fabulous!', I am saying, 'if that's what she wants to do with her life, help her as much as you can but make sure that she's willing to work for it-as long as it's a plausible goal.' Singing and dancing lessons, headshots, recording sessions-if there is raw material, there is always a chance. And naturally I'm not advocating that this continue for the rest of her life either. Say if she hasn't gotten anywhere in 3 years, then it's time to come play mom and dad's way.
If she's willing to work her tail off and she's got the talent to start with, then that's what I'm advocating. Of course, if she can't hold a note in a bucket then this is all null and void and pretend I never said it.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".