View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 04:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
ok, well i will start then bc i am bored at work.

here is a little background: i am originally from PA, right outside of Philly. I went to a really small public hs. I decided to go to Elon Coll. (now elon univ.) on a whim and bc i wanted a change from PA. (Elon is in NC between Chapel Hill and Greensboro). i knew nothing about being greek and was totally against it bc i was like this northern hippie chick who wore (and occasionally still wears berkinstocks with wool socks in the winter--granted, now they are just from jcrew not edie bauer)

elon's rush isn't until the spring. and this girl i was really good friends with on my hall was totally against rushing and we thought you would be "buying your friends" if you rushed. Well she got really sick in February and didn't know if she was coming back to school. So i was feeling completely out of place with out her. so my roomate, who was totally southern, convinced me to at least try rushing. In the past I had hung out with some Tri-Sigmas at my school and they had all told me that they really wanted me to rush, ect. so i decided what the heck, i signed up and got a rho chi. my rho chi group was probably about 20 girls, and overall probably 400 girls rushed, i would say. at that point there were only 6 sororities with huge classes. Qouta the year before I rushed was 50, the year i rushed it was 42. The average sorority size was about 100-120 members with one sorority that was under college total 9(i think at elon thats 45)

so now that i have rambled enough....

i go through rush and end up having a fabulous time. The six houses at elon at that time were:
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Phi Mu
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

First round, obviously i went to all the houses...i really wanted Sigma really really bad. they were the only ones who dropped me, so i was pretty upset. so second round i went back to AOII, AZD, Phi Mu, and ZTA. Then I wanted ZTA really really bad...they dropped me going into pref...so i was invited back to AOTT, AZD, and Phi Mu. I dropped Phi Mu bc they just were to not me. Granted they were all really nice to me and they had a great rush, but they weren't me. So i prefed AOTT and AZD. I ended up putting AZD on my bid card first, just bc all of the girls that i met were so cool and so much fun. and what really impressed me was that they had so much energy...you knew that they were tired by the looks on their faces, but they were loud, and excited to be there and excited to see me there. they were also sooo creative. everything they did during rush was sooo different from everyone elses. Their skits were in black light, they had sets, they had stars hanging from the ceiling and during pref they were all wearing white dresses and the only thing that stood out were the pretty pink roses and the beautiful crest. and while the members were singing to us, the girls that were standing behind me, one ended up being my rose sis, the other one ended up being my big...were singing off key and laughing about it that i noticed. i just clicked with them so much.
at rho chi unveiling, i realized my rho chi was an AZD too so i was super excited!
and then my junior year i became rush chair for AZD
and my senior year i became head rho chi for panhell.
i am so incredbly happy that i rushed. i can't imagine college with out my sisters or my other greek friends.
oh, and that girl who didn't want to rush and went home sick, came back the following semester and helped colonized Sigma Kappa.
This year, elon is bringing on another sorority to replace ASA, they lost their charter due to numbers. So let me know if anyone hears anything!!!!
so thats my story!