View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrx View Post
The definition of hazing has become much more broad than it used to be and I've noticed a big disconnect between what the national office views as hazing and what the university views as hazing. Big one is pledge book. Our pledges were required to have all members sign their book but that was shut down last year as "illegal hazing". I always viewed hazing as mandatory fifth chugs, 10 mile pledge hikes, study hours, etc. Signing a damn book is not hazing but unfortunately I don't make the rules.
Some of this is not a particular chapter but campus culture that made it easier to close the door on activities rather than try to evaluate how far is too far on each of them. I was not asked to sign a book or paddle but my roommate's group and my friend down the hall were. Several sisters made them do things like flash a guy, get a guy to sign her um.. lower back, take shots, find out from someone else what their favorite food was, etc. It only takes one or two to make this escalate pretty quickly - from funny "ha ha you embarrassed yourself talking to a stranger " to wild.