View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
It’s sort of a Catch-22, though. Aren’t people here constantly advising PNMs not to listen to tent talk/gossip/rumors? And one of the examples commonly given of such a rumor not to listen to is “Don’t join XYZ, they’re about to get shut down.” So, if IU PNMs had heard this about Tri-Delta, how were they supposed to know whether this was a true statement, or just part of the sorority gossip mill?
Those kinds of rumors usually have to deal with a smaller chapter that it's believed will be shut down for lack of members. From what I gather, it's pretty common knowledge at IU who is on probation or other sorts of discipline. If I heard from every third person that XYZ was on probation, I'd probably believe it. However, if I liked them enough, that probably wouldn't matter to me. When I rushed, one of the chapters had a fairly nasty hazing reputation. That isn't the main reason I cut them though, I cut them because they were rude. If I would've walked into the party and felt like I'd found my home, I wouldn't have cared about the rumors, no matter how prevalent they were.