View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

The reality of the situation is that a lot of these seemingly innocuous things (interviews, notebooks, signed daggers, etc.) are logistically harder to accomplish with the shorter NM periods first, can be arduous to complete for larger chapters second, and open the door to one jerk sister (and let's be real, there's always at least one jerk sister in every chapter no matter how small) taking it upon herself to make tracking her down for a chat/interview/signature really, really tough on new members, causing undue stress and taking time away from the real reason any of them are in school in the first place.

I had a ton of fun during my new member period, and I was lucky in that I was able to balance schoolwork and fun in a way that allowed me to keep my grades up. A few of my pledge sisters were not so lucky and had to defer initiation until they could get them up. Thinking about even my own collegiate chapter, which is bigger now, doing some of the things we did in "my day," with a shorter New Member period, and understanding that programs of study at my university are not magically getting easier... I can totally understand the shift away from these activities even if HQs weren't getting involved to put a stop to them.

And that's not even going into the other "fun" stuff we did that was actually pretty freaking dangerous.