Thread: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Well, the New York Times is reporting that Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that 2 of 3 Germans are infected, so I would say that 66.67% is close enough to 70%.
Merkel said in an address to the German parliament that two out of three Germans may become infected, not that they are infected currently. Again, her assessment isn't outside the realm of possibility, based on what epidemiologists are predicting. Merkel's number is just on the high side of the predicted infection range.

As for my own experience, I work for a federal agency that still has provided absolutely no guidance beyond hand washing and "Dracula Coughing." They haven't advised us to postpone or cancel non-essential travel, request video teleconferences instead of in-person oral arguments, or do additional telework beyond the one day a week that most of us already do. We've been waiting for promised guidance since early last week, and nothing has arrived, not even after someone in my office was put in quarantine yesterday with a "probable" case of Coronavirus. "Probable" only because the narrow testing parameters spelled out by the CDC a couple weeks ago are still in place, at least in my area, so she can't be tested (yet). But given everything, her doctor is pretty sure she is infected. In the absence of any direction or communication from agency leadership on how to deal with this, middle management in my office is trying its best to deal with the situation, and the disruption that has resulted. For myself, I have to go in to the office today, but will start teleworking three to four days a week beginning tomorrow. Let the social distancing commence!

I wish I could say that my agency is an aberration, and that others are handling this better, but I've heard similar stories from friends at other Departments. It seems like a lot of state and local jurisdictions are ahead of the feds in dealing with this. Mind you, only my impression