View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, I'm gonna bite....So I wasn't on dance team, but I was/am very gifted academically, and I obviously joined a sorority.

Rush was tough for me when I was a PNM. I hate making small talk and I am not particularly good at it. Getting gussied up and painting my nails and all that stuff seemed frivolous to me then, and frivolous to me now. Cuts were rough, and that was surprising to me, because I thought that GPA/honors program/campus leadership/etc. would mean a lot to sororities. If you don't make a great first impression, it doesn't matter.

However, it turned out that rush on the active side was actually pretty easy for me. My ability to memorize huge amounts of information about the PNM's coming through made it easy for me to prepare, and I think that I learned what I need to do to be successful in these types of situations later in life. I know that if I am going to a networking lunch, for example, I need to think in advance about who will be there and some opening lines I can use for people I want to talk to, or to just think about some general questions I could throw out. At the same time, other people were happy to pick out my outfits, do my hair, etc.

I feel like I could go through every aspect of my sorority membership and give you the same sort of two-sided analysis: some things were tougher for me, some were easier, and then I learned something. I think your daughter's experience, if she is "different" from most women her age, will be different. But it can be rewarding, even if it is, sometimes, frustrating.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 01-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.