View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
In two years, there will be no freshmen permitted. This will be the end for many fraternities there.

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/11/pr...-team-members/
Why would deferred rush end a fraternity? That sounds like my school's extremely dingy Greek advisor who moved sorority rush to first semester freshman year "so we can get them before they know any better."

The class distribution will be screwed up for a couple years but then it will even back out. If it's a live in issue, rent a couple rooms to independents. Seriously, it's not the end of the world.

There are so many freshmen from so many small towns who go to Penn State and get in over their heads, even without the Greek system. They're going from their home where everyone knew their name and cared about their welfare to a place full of temptations where no one really cares if they sink or swim. Personally, I don't think it's a fraternity or a sorority's job to play babysitter, tour guide and tutor all rolled into one. It's to provide brotherhood and sisterhood. If deferred rush takes that weight off the Greek system's shoulders, I honestly can't see where it's a bad thing.

But let's be real - this "sophomores and up only" will last maybe 2-3 years before the exceptionally swift administration realizes that freshmen are joining Trilogy, ESA and its male equivalents that will spring up, and partying just as hard and as stupid without national oversight.