View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Munchkin03;2413698]
The long and short of it is that Abigail Fisher was a mediocre (at best) student who thought she was entitled to attend her flagship university. An 1180 SAT? I'm pretty sure I did better than that when we were invited to take the SAT in 7th or 8th grade. UT-Austin is simply entering the league of UVa, Michigan, UNC, UCLA, and Berkeley where just being a "good in-state student" isn't enough. I'm seeing it to some extent at Florida too, as kids who would have been shoo-ins back in the 90s are being denied, as Bright Futures (the lottery scholarship) is keeping the top kids who may have gone OOS right at home.
QUOTE]

This is pretty much the issue. It's similar to what the Court found in a case at Michigan--which does not have a percentage plan. The plaintiff's scores just weren't good enough to get in. She wasn't a bad student, but compared to the other students who applied the year she did, she was not as qualified based on grades, strength of classes, test scores, extra curriculars, etc. She said her life was ruined and that she couldn't become a doctor because she didn't get into UM. Really? I'm pretty sure there are a lot of doctors out there who went to schools that aren't as highly ranked as Michigan.

My cousin lives in New Mexico and he got into UT with grades that probably would not have gotten him in if he lived in Texas. I think Texas's plan is probably a good idea with bad execution.